Monday, April 26, 2010

tart

hello everyone! happy monday! i hope your weekend was lovely, long, and less headache-filled than mine. i've felt on the verge of a big sick for a few days now and i'm hoping that getting enough sleep and eating my fruits and veggies will stave it off for at least a little while longer, as sam and i are heading to the beach this weekend in hopes of some fresh fish and sunshine.

i have been cooking and baking up a storm, as per usual; this week was a big one because. . . drumroll please. . . sam started eating meat after 8 years of vegetarianism. before the hate mail starts, i did NOT coerce him to switch over to the dark side in any way. i was vegetarian for many years and i have an immense amount of respect for those who chose not to eat meat; as a chef, i just like to have all my options open. i've always been a very adventurous eater and i never want to have to say no to anything because of dietary restrictions (so here's hoping all the sugar i eat doesn't turn me into a diabetic one day.) after months of watching me scarf bacon like it's my job, sam decided he was ready for some of that action. this is actually what i wore to the grocery store for the momentous occasion of picking up a rack of lamb to cook for dinner one night.



shirt: thrifted
brooch: thrifted (shoe clip)
skirt: dress from h&m
socks: american apparel
shoes: thrifted
belt: anthropologie

and now for a of recipe! no meat just yet, just seafood. i have a huge backlog of stuff to post; my days seem to be very formulaic. wake up. work until 3. come home, go for a jog, and start dinner; start movie while eating; finish movie in bed and go to sleep. yep, i've basically fast-forwarded to my late 60s, but i rather like it.

crab deviled eggs




6 hard cooked eggs
1 T sour cream
T dijon mustard
2 t garlic, crushed
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup celery, julienned
1 cup king crab meat, sauteed in butter
1 t ground fennel
salt and pepper to taste
sesame seeds

first: hard boil the eggs. put them in a pot with at least an inch of water over the top and bring it up to a boil over medium high heat; then take off heat, cover with a lid, and let 'em sit for 12 minutes. julienne your celery, prep your other items, sautee your crab and let it cool. take the eggs out of the hot water and put them in an ice bath to let 'em cool down. once they're cool, peel off the shell and don't slice them horizontally like you usually do - slice a little bit off the smaller end of the egg, height-wise. then cut about a half inch down on the other side and take out the yolk carefully. mix it up with all the other stuff and stuff it back in there; top with salt, pepper and sesame seeds.




so delicious, and pretty impressive as a nice appetizer for guests that you can prep hours in advance.

more soon. thanks for all the kind comments!

xo audrey

11 comments:

  1. Those deviled eggs look delish, and, as always, I'm amazed by the marvel of your colorful ensembles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuuuummmfmmadsfmasmdam :: falls out of chair from too much delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never stop being hideously jealous of how good yellows and mustards look on you. And that skirt is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous outfit, love the colors!! I was just thinking about you the other day and hoping you'd post an outfit soon.. I just adore your style!

    The crab deviled eggs look delicious. Will be trying that soon, thanks for the recipe. Good luck on not getting sick!

    transmission me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mix of colors in this outfit! And I must give that recipe a try... deviled eggs are my weakness.

    http://aprettypenny.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading your blog for a while now, but never had the urge to comment, however, crab deviled eggs (how have I not thought of this?!?!?!) sounds like the perfect app to me!! You've managed to combine two of my favorite things and I can't wait to try making these!!!

    While I'm at it... love the shoes. I love a good colored flat!

    XO
    Becca
    FreeHoney.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a vegetarian for 3 years but had to stop when I went back to school. The cafeteria where I ate offered one veggie dish that I had every day. I think I had about 6 months worth of fried tofu (as dry as card board) with rice then succumbed to a cheeseburger at McD's. :( I still wish I never went back to eating meat because I loved how my body felt back then. Now, it's so difficult to wean myself from meat because B is a huge meat-eater.

    Anyways, I am in love with your skirt. You look so snazzy as always, Audrey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. argggh. I can't sleep because I'm starving and macs don't have programs that allow you to reach through the screen and eat EVERYTHING. Your recipe sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audrey..thank you so much for posting all the yummy recipes on your blog...especially the cookies..I've been looking everywhere for the right recipe and VOILA! It was a hit with everyone and I had people requesting for more...

    I look forward to trying this new one =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, thanks for this
    deviled eggs recipe - I needed
    a dish for an event and this is
    it - the addition of crab
    really makes this a standout.

    ReplyDelete