Friday, October 7, 2011

suit

gooood morning. last night i finally had a quiet night in, so i cracked my knuckles, set up my trusty tripod, and took a few outfit shots so that i could put the "blog" back in "blogger." i can't believe how fast this week went - friday through sunday were spent basking in sweet, sweet music (highlights: flava flav and chuck d leading a 2 hour long public enemy set that was absolutely incredible, and probably the best show of the weekend; jeff magnum playing pretty much every neutral milk hotel song you could ask to hear with the aid of nothing but an acoustic guitar. i may have shed a tear or two.) i also probably consumed my body weight in beer and tacos, so i haven't much felt like getting dressed up and looking at my feet for photos. and as for cooking - monday night i had popcorn for dinner, tuesday chinese takeout, wednesday i went out for korean bbq with some friends and last night i ate leftover storebought pasta. so really, this week has been nothing to write home. . . or you guys. . . about.

one of the things i really wanted for fall was a vintage-feeling suit. i looked at a couple of shops near my office, but nothing was quite right (for the fit or the price) - i spotted this one on asos and patiently waited for the price to drop. it did - plummet, in fact - so i snatched it up and plan on wearing the heck out of it during this not-quite-hot-but-not-quite-cold weather.

_DSC0134
_DSC0135

blazer: asos
shorts: asos
shirt: thrifted, similar here
shoes: miu miu via ebay (and about 5% of the original price)

my hair is a source of much frustration these days. it kind of wants to do this "i'm a dandelion!" frizz thing at the top of my head, instead of lying down all nice and smooth and happy; as a person who's basically shunned a hairbrush for most of my life, i don't really have the skills necessary to tame it so i've taken to spraying it with a water bottle every morning, smoothing it down, and going. it's working okay, but what i end up with at the end of the day is. . . well. . . what you see here. anyone have any tips? how do you get your hair smooth and calm?

this weekend is shaping up to be a good one: tonight sam and i are going to see the ides of march, and tomorrow i'm making a bunch of cookies for a friend's engagement party then going to a yom kippur dinner at another friend's place. sunday there's a street fair not too far from my apartment that a few of us are going to hit up.

what about you guys? big plans? thanks so much for all the comments - i'll be finally getting back to everyone today, with my apologies for the delay!

xo audrey

30 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing suit! Love it with the shorts!
    The only product that works to keep my hair nicely shaped and frizz free is this stuff: http://www.leestafford.com/uk/products/product.php?pi=148. It's amazing, like a dry wax that adds texture and not grease. Not sure if you can get it in the US though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let it STAY DRY in the morning! Add a couple drops of a frizz-ease serum and then flat iron it with a small flat iron (you can buy one at CVS). That's it! Shouldn't take you very long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect vintage short suit! I love the minty color and you saw Flava Flav??? Get out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your suit is amazing, those shoes with it are magnificent, and acoustic guitars always seem to bring on the tears. :) As for your hair- I chopped mine off on a regular basis, and I found that a gel-wax mix, about a dime sized bit put in when your hair is damp, helps make it shapely but NOT frizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love playing the "wait for the price to drop" game. I'm doing it now with a dress on Asos. :) That suit is perfect, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, the suit is adorable! It's a great color, too, and perfect with the bow blouse. I have to blow-dry my hair into the basic shape I want and then use a slim straightening iron to fix the pieces that flip up. After that I use Aveda's Light Elements Defining Whip to give it more of a piecey look and control frizz. It's a really good product for fine hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That suit looks Great on you! I am also Really LOVING those heels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fantastic week :) (Popcorn is probably the best dinner ever). LOVE this green suit on you it looks totally amazing. I wish I had better hair tips for you but the way I finally calmed my hair down was to stop washing it every day (I usually do a wash once a week with baking soda and apple cider vinegar... becuase I am a hippie...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a shorts suit - I've done it a few times with black shorts and a black blazer but having ones that are actually meant to go together is so much better! And in color!

    Ummmmm, I would shed about ONE MILLION TEARS if I saw Jeff Magnum live...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bumble and bumble Grooming Creme! I swear by it for short hair

    ReplyDelete
  11. GIRL. Blow dry. Then use this: http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT75&PRODUCT_ID=217

    ReplyDelete
  12. love. those. shoes. really. and the color of the suit is just perfect. hmmmm...hair, i have really wild hair too. i use remino 3 styling creme. i've also found Moroccan oil products useful too.

    xo
    n

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the frizziest hair ever, and I had short hair for quite a while...product is a must. Especially when wet, to seal out the moisture. I like any kind of argan oil...the kind they sell at target, or when I have the extra money, this brand: http://www.loveamika.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. i've been into shorts suits and yours look great! sorry i can't help you much about the frizzy locks.. i know it can be a pain. i know i'd be totally depressed on days like that...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have curly, frizzy hair and what I do in the morning is wet it if the curl has gone out and then I chuck in some Macademia Nut Oil Cream. You can get this junk at Target or Ulta and it doesn't take a whole lot to do it's thing. Sometimes I also use Biolage Smoothing Serum..but sometimes not. If it really hates me then I flat iron the offending bits and leave the rest.

    http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-conditioners/macadamia-natural-oil-nourishing-leave-in-cream

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not one to brush or put products in my hair either but i do get frizzy and I just use a little bit of coconut oil (just a touch) and that helps A LOT and it conditions your hair too oh and it smells nice :) hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh this is too stunning, love love love the blouse - the shorts are just the right amount of edge. I am super curly and I have basically given up on my hair doing what I want, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Fingers crossed the lovely comments above are super helpful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely suit, beautiful color on you! As for the hair advice, I think putting water on it in the morning is a no no if you're trying to avoid/tame frizz. You should try a serum from bumble and bumble, or some Moroccan hair oil on the ends. Coconut oil on the ends of hair works well if you have a day to spend at home and let it soak in before you wash it out. This helps my hair stay soft and manageable for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that short suit is so cute! not sure whether it's just a British thing as we tend to wear tights/stockings with everything, but the shorts could look cool with woollen black tights & a sweater too, as the days get colder :)

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read the words 'Neutral Milk Hotel' and felt an immedeate pang of jealousy. You lucky girl! In the Aeroplane Over the Sea must be one of the best cd's of the last 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello amazing 2 piece suit! YOU LOOK SASSY and gorgeous!! xo, Kim www.eatsleepwear.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. SHORT SUIT! That is utterly badass.

    And re: the hair issue...I'm big on hair creams. I relied on them big time when my hair was uber short.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks so much to everyone for all the hair advice! i'm going to invest in a hairdryer and some good serum and hope that does the trick. thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Shophopper couldn't agree more. it was really something else to see. there was something really great about hearing them all stripped down and acoustic, too - he sang with so much emotion. it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun week!
    And you're so smart! I don't think I've even ONCE (on purpose) in my life waiting for the price of something to drop. I'm too impatient.
    That suit is sensational! Normally suits, on women, to me at least, scream 'Don't you dare look me up and down.' But I'm sure no one could resist that when you strut around in that little number. Just look at your bootay!

    ReplyDelete
  26. P.S. Have you tried asking the salon for hair advice? I find they normally are very protective of their creations and probably would wring their hands if they knew you were having trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  27. a good trick...when my hair is being large and unruly (not what I want in a pixie cut) is wear a hat for a while... you could even wet your hair, pop a hat on then ... well then see how that goes. might take some experimenting. If you have a beanie or a cloche hat... thats probably your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the color of your new suit!! Great, great purchase!! And those Miu Miu pumps add just the perfect touch!!
    xoxo
    MY LITTLE SUEDE SHOES

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I first looked at this post I thought that of course that darling suit is vintage, but I am happy to find that it is not because I might just have to get it myself. I think I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete